1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Got my very own baaaaby bunny, fed a giraffe. It's hard to think what else. There were some sad things. I lost a friend to cancer.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I haven't made any resolutions for several years now. I think if you really want to do something you can do it any day of the year. I guess it can help to have a deadline though. This year I'm going to stop letting other people make me feel unhappy. And I think I might go back to Uni to finish my degree or do a TAFE course or something. I'm curious to see if TAFE does night courses in welding. I think it would be awesome to know how to weld.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friends Jo and Nova had a beautiful baby boy and a friend I've worked with at 2 different workplaces now just had twins a few days ago. So happy for them! While I don't want any of my own I think their babies are gorgeous and I can see how happy they are :)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. I think that was one of the saddest times of my life. I will miss Mikey so much.
5. What countries did you visit?
None this year! And next year I think the closest we'll come is a trip to Rottnest and a visit to Sydney for a friend's wedding.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Just like last year, and the year before, I want less stress and more time. I might actually get some of it this year. I've finally accepted that I need to take medication again to get my anxiety under control and I am going part-time at work. It's only one less day per week but I think it will make a big difference.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
25 June we lost a dear friend and 5 July we said farewell to him.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
It's been a fairly quiet year for me, I can't say that I've done anything really tangible but I think I've made some fairly big steps towards improving my health and I finally managed to kind of sort of apologise to someone I've been meaning to apologise to for a while.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I probably could have taken better care of myself better and maybe I could have done something about my mental health a bit sooner but otherwise I think this year has been OK. I've done my best.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I think maybe there was one asthma attack? I had a bit of a meltdown a few weeks ago that resulted in me taking some stress leave from work.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Bunny? Oooh or the robot vacuum. That's pretty great. Value for money definitely goes to the little battery powered handheld fans I bought for Dan's parents and Dan and I for Xmas Day - they cost me about $3 but they made Xmas Day in the marquee at Caversham House SO much more comfortable! Mostly Bunny though because I'd never put a robot vax or tiny fans above my little sillyhead.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Dan. Always Dan. I wish he'd let me throw birthday parties for him because I just want to throw a huge party to celebrate how happy I am that he exists. I couldn't possibly have chosen a better person to spend my life with.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Jesus fuck. My Mum. I am so far over it I can't even be upset about it anymore but it really is appalling behaviour.
14. Where did most of your money go?
As always, the mortgage :)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
BUNNY!! Um... Amanda Palmer everything (seeing her in January this year, new album, tour, private party, etc). Getting my rabbit tattoo finished.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
This has not been a musical year for me. Maybe something from Theatre is Evil.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? same
ii. thinner or fatter? same
iii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise. And I said that last year too. Erg. Need to get off my arse and do more running.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressing out about tiny little things. Which I can't really help due to having an anxiety disorder and depression but still. Less of that would be good.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Xmas Eve was spent at the Luna in Leederville watching Labyrinth ion the big screen (SO awesome). On Xmas Day Dan and I took Dan's parents to Caversham House for Xmas lunch. It was super fab, worth every cent. I had to work from 6:30-10:30am on Boxing Day but afterwards Em came over to watch Lord of the Rings with Dan and I and we had lunch together.
We have a second Xmas coming up this weekend - I'm catching the train to Bunbury on Thursday, Dan will come down in the car on Friday and we'll be spending time with Dan's sister, her husband and our nephew and Dan's parents before coming back to Perth on Saturday. If you're thinking of breaking into our house during this time just FYI we have an alarm system AND someone staying to take care of the very vicious cats and deadly rabbit.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I fall in love with Dan a bit more every year. Eeeeeew gushy smooshy love stuff bleh bleh bleh.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Once Upon a Time has been pretty good. Game of Thrones was great. Dan didn't like it but I did. More Star Trek. Turtleman! Wait, was I supposed to pick just one?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. I don't hate anyone.
24. What was the best book you read?
I finished Game of Thrones and loved the shit out that. I'm re-reading Sandman now.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I just listen to whatever Dan puts on. I quite like one of the CDs he has in car now of Billy Talent and he's new to me.
26. What did you want and get?
A bunny!!!! (Which is hilarious because last year my answer to the question 'What did you want and not get' was 'a bunny'). Also a robot vacuum.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Avengers was fucking awesome. Batman: DKR. Cabin in the Woods. If I had to pick just one I'd say probably Avengers.
29. What did you do on your birthday?
Drinks and tapas at 399 Bar. I kept my expectations low to avoid disappointment and then I was pleasantly surprised when more people came than I expected. I got some nice pressies and lots of drinks bought for me. It was a nice evening.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less Mum? I don't know. 'Immeasurably' is kind of a big thing.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Oooh look it's the same as last year. 'Whatever the fuck I can find that is black and fits.'
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Not really any of them? I'd shag William Shatner.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Rape culture and feminism in general.
35. Who did you miss?
Mostly people who have passed away. I miss my Dad and I miss Mikey.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Did I meet anyone new? I'm not sure I did... if you're a person who met me this year and you're reading this let me know!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
I don't have to be superwoman. I don't have to DO ALL THE THINGS. I just need to know that I have done what is right and I have done the best that I can do.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I cannot run from my family
They're hiding inside me
Corpses on ice
Come in if you'd like
But just don't tell my family
They'd never forgive me
They say that I'm crazy
But they would say anything
If it would shut me up"
"And killing things is not so hard it's hurting that's the hardest part
And when the wizard gets to me I'm asking for a smaller heart"